Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Static stretching pre-workout: reasons why you shouldn't do it

To read the article, click here.

I have always said this to my athletes and although I too am guilty of static stretching my calves before I run, I also try to dynamically stretch them also, or to stretch them through movement.

Dynamic stretching helps warm your muscles up and prepares you to workout, especially on cold days if you're outside after a 10-15 minute warm up. With warmer weather coming every day, that still means that you should still dynamic stretch and get your sweat on. Static stretching typically should be saved for post-workout after a 10 minute cool down.

The article is a good one and further emphasizes what I tell my track athletes: if you dynamic stretch well and correctly, you should be sufficiently warmed up and ready to go as soon as you finish. You can also have fun with them also.

Have a happy workout. Go out and get your sweat on!

No comments:

Post a Comment