Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I've been a busy bee and a bad blogger

It's been over 2 months since my last post. Sorry!

Things have been a bit crazy to say the least. I've had my baby shower and virtual sprinkle, my parents are living it up on their cross country road trip, I'm pretty well established at my new job, and we have about 7 weeks till baby arrives (plus or minus a couple weeks since we all know she'll come when she's ready to).

32 week photo: smuggling a large basketball

I'm still being active, though I have had to slow down a bit in the past couple weeks with the height of summer making it tough for me. The humidity has been making it tough to breathe, but with the complex I live in doing a crap ton of paving and sealing the past month, the air quality hasn't been the greatest either. Thankfully, they're almost done (supposed to be by the end of the week. Fingers crossed!).

As far as my workouts have gone, I'm still doing a lot of walking and I've started wearing a pedometer during my shifts to really see how much I'm moving. So far, I'm averaging about 3000 or so steps each shift, which range from 4-6+ hours each time, 5 days a week. I'm still walking Sydney 2-3 times a week, but with it being super hot and humid at 9am when I usually take her, it's been tough, but we try to get a mile in each walk. Strength training involves the TRX Suspension Trainer still as well as some kettle bell deadlifts, but those are starting to become tough as my belly progressively grows bigger. I'm not able to squat as low and it's taking me a bit longer to get off the floor, but I'm still managing. Thankfully, all the members, clients, and my coworkers understand and are willing to help me out if I need it.

While I'm still getting a lot of "good for you for working out" from some, I get just as many people questioning whether or not what I'm doing is good for the baby (and just so you know, it's not hurting her). In the past, it's been believed that working out was bad for reproduction (clearly not the case anymore), that working out meant that the mother was being selfish in taking care of themselves and not thinking of the baby (the more I move anyway, the less active my baby is, which means they're sleeping), and don't mention that you run or do CrossFit (all that bouncing CAN'T be good is the usual statement, but there's plenty of amniotic fluid to keep baby safe and well cushioned).

I want everyone to remember something when it comes to pregnancy and fitness: every pregnancy is different and every woman's body reacts differently to fitness. Fitness is not a "one size fits all" just like no two pregnancies are the same. If another woman and myself are both pregnant and both do the same workout programs, chances are we both are going to react differently to the program. I've had a relatively easy pregnancy where as someone else could have every pregnancy symptom in the book. No one should be treated the same because we aren't all the same. Even identical twins have some differences.

This may be my first child, but I've made sure to do my research and have talked with my doctors about what I do fitness wise. Most are impressed that I'm still training and as active as I am at this stage in my pregnancy, though I'm not sure why. I want to make sure that my body is in the best shape it can be going into labor. Any woman I've talked to about being in shape versus not being in shape before baby, they've all told me that being in shape was the best thing for them: labor took less time (not always the case), but the biggest benefit was how quickly their body bounced back afterwards. Some were able to start walking within 4 weeks, making their recovery time less than when they did nothing.

In between my working out, I've started to prepare for baby's arrival: all the clothes we had are washed, folded, and put away, re-arranged the furniture to fit the pack n play (no crib till after we move), and have been periodically cleaning the entire apartment one room at a time. As much as I really want to prepare the nursery, I have to wait till after the move. Fighting those nesting instincts are not easy either. Appointments to meet pediatricians are made before making a decision, emails have been sent to check out daycare facilities, and just have a few little things to deal with, but those can wait. I'm probably missing some items, but for now, I think we're good. Now, time to go in search of something for lunch.....Happy Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment